Disclaimer: Over the next 4 months, football season will cause quite a few non-marketing posts to show up on Hard Knox Life. Hope you don’t mind too much!
“There’s nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you.” Woody Hayes, Legendary Head Coach of Ohio State
The other week, Peter Kim announced that he was pulling together some of the top minds in Social Media & Marketing for a Fantasy Football League called Social THIS! Luckily for me, Pete was willing to expand the league to 12 teams and let me slip into the fray. The competition is really a who’s who of blogging (team name/coach):
- Favre Beans, Joseph Jaffe. (blog/twitter)
- Little Birds, Jeremiah Owyang. (blog/twitter)
- Munoz Mustache Club, Dan Cordella. (blog/twitter)
- Mustangs, Scott Monty. (blog/twitter)
- Mzinga Maurauders, Aaron Strout. (blog/twitter)
- Mosi Tatupu’s Mullet, Adam Cohen (blog/twitter)
- Purple Pistachios, Laura “Pistachio” Fitton. (blog/twitter)
- Stillers, Jackie Huba. (blog/twitter)
- The Beasties, Craig Daitch. (blog/twitter)
- The Viral Gardeners, Mack Collier. (blog/twitter)
- The Team w/ No Name, Peter Kim. (blog/twitter)
- Hard Knox Life, me (blog/twitter)
With games kicking off this coming weekend, we had our draft on Sunday. Overall, I’m really happy with how my team turned out though the draft did have some interesting moves from my competition. Here’s my insight / trash talk as we kick off the season:
- I ran each team through the Football Guys Draft Dominator and Joe Jaffe looks to have the strongest initial team, thanks largely to his drafting of LT with the 2nd pick of the draft. He should give a big hug to Scott Monty, who with the surprise first pick of the draft, went with Tom Brady – who was a stud last year but in expert leagues has an Average Draft Position (ADP) of 11.3. Jaffe also stole the best kicker (Nick Folk) in the 9th round…4th kicker taken overall (more on that later…). He also got a great value with Jay Cutler in the 11th Round. Cutler is ranked by experts as the 8th best QB this year.
- I’m feeling good in 2nd position, though my roster has a few too many Cowboys (TO, Marion Barber, Dallas D) and Saints (Brees, Colston) for my liking. As a loyal Bengals fan, I hate cheering for the NFC. But I didnt end up with any Steelers or Browns on my team, so at least I have that going for me. And on the note of the Bengals, I could end up beating myself up for taking Brees instead of Carson Palmer and Colston instead of Ocho Cinco or TJ.
- Jeremiah has the 3rd best predicted team, but is a study in contrast. His QB core looks to be the lowest scoring (Garrard and the currently benched Matt Leinart) but he has a stud group of WR’s with two Top 10’s in Randy Moss and TJ “Who’s Your Mama”. If Marshawn Lynch stays out of trouble with the law and Michael Turner proves his worth out of the shadow of LT, then Jeremiah could be looking at a scary good team. Read the rest of this entry »