“I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.” – George Carlin
So I woke up this morning to news that George Carlin had passed away at the age of 71. Carlin was not only one of my favorite comedians, but one of the great social commentators of our time. Many were turned away from his comdey because of its crudeness, but behind the words were some amazing insight into human nature. I was going to share one of his videos, but realized it might not be work appropriate for many of you. Instead, here are a collection of some of my favorite quotes from the man himself:
- When someone is impatient and says, “I haven’t got all day,” I always wonder, How can that be? How can you not have all day?
- Is a vegetarian permitted to eat animal crackers?
- Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?
- Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.
- Well, if crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight? They never mention that part to us, do they?
- As a matter of principle, I never attend the first annual anything.
- Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
- Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?